Wednesday 8 October 2008

Things I can't stand the taste of...

Things I Can't stand the Taste of.

There are some things that I have grown an absolute dislike of since I've been living in Spain. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Spanish cooking, as long as you can actually cook it. But there are some things that are left alone to the professionals.

I found some things here taste pretty fowl and here they are including the reason I won't touch them with a barge poll.


Temptation.
It's actually a Swedish dish. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are better ways of cooking it but I can't stand it. It's a dish which is layered with Potato, anchovies, cream and god knows what else, this one had cheese but still urgh! My idea of “Temptation” Is a very gorgeous looking man in a...... You catch my drift.

Caviare:
I hate this with a vengeance. Who in their right mind would want to eat raw fish eggs.. I wouldn't serve it to my cat let alone my guests if I was holding a dinner party. Why would someone pay so much money to buy something you don't like the taste of just to show of to your guests and get into their good books.

Very overcooked pasta. I think it's disgraceful the way I've seen and heard the way some people cook their pasta here. First of all I know that I am in Spain but I lived in the UK most of my life before coming here and even though you will get some people who do not have a clue how long it takes to cook pasta, it clearly says so on the packaging. I was once told in Spain, everyone likes their pasta a little over cooked. I'd like to remind people that I am Italian and I take my pasta very seriously, You cannot expect me to believe that out of 6 million Madrilenos, everyone throws their pasta against a wall to see if it sticks there. The next time someone serves me over cooked pasta which looks like wall paper glue, it's going over their head!

Cooking cream. It makes me break out with so many spots and it does no favours for your figure not to mention your arteries.

Coleslaw... other wise known as American Salad. I haven't liked it since I left high school. Nothing has changed.

Bland Food. Please, not everyone in Madrid is like one of my Ex bosses from where I use to work in London, least of all me. I like my food with a lot of flavor. If it doesn't have at least a pinch of salt then I will not touch it.

Bland fried Chicken: Again put some salt on it.

Deep fried Chicken wings:
Who's idea was it to introduce this on some of the menus in the most boring places of Madrid. If it's not cleaned, covered in batter, flavouring, BBQ sauce or even a little salt, then do not expect me to eat this shit.

Raw Mackerel: I don't want to die of food poisoning thank you very much. I may as well play Russian Roulette with Badly prepared Fugu.

Calamocho:
Who ever invented this, needs to be shot. It's absolutely fowl tasting
and I can't believe people actually drink this stuff.

Nachos: I've grown such a dislike to these things it's not funny. The only thing I do like is the cheese sauce and Jalapeños. Other than that, if someone offers to share it as a starter they can bloody well eat them themselves.

Mashed potato Soup:
I like my Mashed potato to well look like Mashed potato not wall paper glue.

Pasta sauce from a Jar:
If you are going to do something with pasta, please have the decency to put some properly made sauce and not some cheap rubbish because you either don't have a clue how to make it yourself or you can't be bothered.

Callos: This dish is way too strong for me and since my Trip outside Madrid, I haven't touched it since.

Mojitos:
I don't hate them, but I don't love them either. I'm in limbo when it comes to this cocktail. I guess i still need to find a place that makes very good mojitos.

Baileys and Vanilla:
This I do not like at all because it tastes like something a five year old put together. It's Baileys Irish cream with Vanilla milkshake. I'd rather drink baileys either straight with ice or in coffee or even better with Ice cream.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The English are not known for their culinary delights. (Neither are the Americans for that matter! LOL!) It's a good thing you can fall back on your Italian roots like I can my Mexican ones!

Morgana said...

aahh I knew it.....

I like my food to actually have some flavor, but all this I tried while living in Spsin... I Think I was in a district that live on bland food.....

I like to try different dishes, but the first time I tried Cuban I Wasn't impressed, I guess it was because we tried all the bland dishes on the menu... but it's not so bad..

Anonymous said...

You wouldn't have had that problem if you had gone to a Mexican restaurant!!! If you like spicy, try that! Lol.

Morgana said...

I like Mexican food actually....

And as for spicy... I lived in a predominately Asian part of London for 20 years and the amount of chilli in Indian food is amazing....

It's a good aphrodisiac...

Anonymous said...

Talking food here I can see!
And I am very picky on what I eat too!
I know what you mean...food must have some flavor!
Remember the Cuban dishes,was not impressed either!The Peruvian food was good!

Swedish food are not that bad! Janssons frestelse(Swedish temptation)are quiet good if you know how to do it!The one we had was something else!

And Mexican food I like....
Indian too,but not too spicy!

Good aphrodisiac?You know this by experience?Hehe...

Anonymous said...

Sorry,forgot my name!
As you wouldn't guess who it was anyway!LOL...

Hugs!

Morgana said...

Yes Mia,

I knew it was you, especially when you started talking about Peruvian food... ahhh yummy...

reminds me of that week in September...

And the answer is yes to the last question..

Anonymous said...

Mia, I thought "anonymous" sounded like you as well! haha!